Updated: Apr 30
HomeopathyOffers Low-Risk Natural Support
Your Child’s Essential Exuberance
More than one in 20 children in Australia are diagnosed with ADHD and related behavioural disorders. There is a broad range of treatment options available, both in the realm of conventional medicine and also in complementary medicine. It may be that a combination of treatment approaches will be most beneficial.
Homeopathy, a form of natural medicine that uses immeasurably small doses of medicines to stimulate the body’s innate healing ability. Each child is assessed as the unique individual that he or she is. A homeopathic remedy is selected that best matches the child’s symptoms:
the particular challenging behaviours,
their individual nature, including fears and special interests
their appetite, food and other sensitivities
and any particular physical symptoms.
With a suitable homeopathic medicine, we would expect:
* A marked improvement in the child’s behaviour
* An overall improvement in the child’s general health
* A more balanced individual
An 8-year-old boy came for homeopathic treatment because he was always in trouble at school, unable to focus in class. His mother complained that he was easily distracted at home and in particular that he was constantly restless, his legs always jiggling. He was also extremely restlessness during sleep and he would often wake at night in a state of fright.
These symptoms matched a particular homeopathic medicine. He was prescribed a dose of 5 drops once a week. At a follow up appointment six weeks later there was a marked change in his behaviour. The night terrors had ceased, he was much more settled and focused, both in school and at home and the physical restlessness was greatly reduced.
A German study of 115 children diagnosed with ADHD, showed that 75% responded favourably to homeopathic treatment. This figure is confirmed in anecdotal reports from practitioners in Australia and the USA. The results are similar to studies of stimulant medication in treatment of ADHD.
Advantages of Homeopathy
* Conventional medication can have side effects such as anxiety, stomach cramps and insomnia. Homeopathic treatment is low-risk, with no indicated side effects.
* Stimulants have to be taken every day. Homeopathic medicines can be taken infrequently, repeated only when beneficial effects begin to wear off.
* You don’t have to choose one or the other - homeopathic medicine can be used in conjunction with conventional treatments.
* You can expect to see results within a few weeks, but commitment to a longer-term treatment program of at least a year is important to bring about lasting change.
In the initial consultation, which can last up to one and a half hours, the homeopath gathers information about the child’s behaviour, along with a detailed medical and personal history.
It may help to interview the parents/carers separately from the child.
Follow-up appointments, every four to six weeks monitor the progress of the treatment.
For more information contact Ann Manning
0413 010 050 email@example.com
Clinics: North Willoughby
Use medicines only as directed. If symptoms persist see your healthcare practitioner. This advice does not replace professional care. These suggestions are for the treatment of minor aliments only and are not suitable for the treatment of chronic, serious or on-going illness.
Frei H & Thurneysen A, (2001) British Homeopathic Journal (2001) 90, 1831